Social media is a great way for us to stay in touch with our players and share information. Unfortunately, it’s also a place where scammers spread false information and try to get personal information. We want our players to know how to spot a scam so they can stay safe online.
If you have ever received a message from a fake account claiming you’ve won a prize, you are not alone. Some players were recently targeted on Instagram as “ONE OF THE LUCKY SELECTED FANS.”
So how do if you’re the target of a scam? Check out this list of helpful tips to keep you safe on the internet.
- The Ohio Lottery will never ask you to send money in order to claim a prize.
- Misspellings, bad grammar and the word “sweepstakes” are indicators of a scam.
- The official Ohio Lottery Instagram is verified, so look for the check mark in the blue circle.
- The official Ohio Lottery Twitter is verified, so look for the check mark in the blue circle.
- The official Ohio Lottery Facebook is verified, so look for the check mark in the blue circle.
- Never give personal information, such as bank account or social security numbers.
- If you did not enter a drawing or buy a ticket, you likely did not win. If you are unsure, call the Ohio Lottery at 1-800-686-4208.
Check out some examples of what a fake account and fake message look like.
When it comes to social media, the internet, and email, you have to be protective of your information. Your safety on the internet is important to us! We hope you follow these tips to stay safe and protect your money and your personal information.